Monday, August 20, 2007

Leeches and Maggots and Wounds ... Oh My!

I love simple, low tech solutions to things. Years ago, like when my Dad was a kid in the 20s and 30s, leeches were used as a treatment for black eyes and other bruises. I wrote about it earlier in one of my little family history entries. Present day physicians are starting to use them again and there is a link to a video about it there.
Doctors are also using maggots to debride wounds. Maggots will only eat dead tissue so they don't injure the surrounding, healthy flesh. Apparently they do a better job than the medical professionals can. They are raised specifically for this purpose and are sterile and guaranteed disease free. I've linked to a video about it at youtube but it shows an actual wound and the maggots and everything so not for the faint of heart.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6O45Vt9wCc
I think it's really interesting but that's me.
This one's even worse (or better, depending on how you look at it). It starts out with a time lapse scene of a dead fox being devoured by maggots, so seriously, if that sort of thing grosses you out, don't watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6O45Vt9wCc

Labels: , ,

Who links to me?
Who links to me?