Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The Paradox of Choice

Psychologist Barry Schwartz talking on The Paradox of Choice.
http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/93
There is also a book.
http://www.amazon.com/Paradox-Choice-Why-More-Less/dp/0060005696/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-7345382-2734203?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188936465&sr=1-1
This really hits home for me. I realized about five years ago that I'm much more creative with less choices. When I was remodeling my kitchen I went to a tile store that carried discontinued tile. There were big piles of tile and that's what you had to choose from. If there wasn't enough tile there, or at a single other location, then it wouldn't work for your project (or you had to design a way to combine tiles). I ended up with this wonderful checkerboard floor that garnered compliments from everyone who saw it. My point is that it's really easier, in the long run, not to have so many choices. Schwartz talks about the paralysis caused by too many options. I can so relate to that.
Yesterday I went to a fabric store and it turns out that there was only one fabric that would work at all with what I'd already done and that made my decision easy. So much easier than having 10 or 12 choices that would all work, pretty much equally. Of course if there was nothing that worked, I would need more choices. I guess this would be the paradox part.
The video is on a site called Ted.com subtitled "Ideas Worth Spreading".
Looks like I'll be spending some time there in the future.
Oh yes, I just watched Mena Trott's
talk on blogging. http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/21 I'll be here for awhile.

Labels: , ,

Who links to me?
Who links to me?