Friday, September 29, 2006

The North American Wood Frog

Here's a really interesting little video story via Ask Metafilter about the North American wood frog. It freezes solid at the first touch of an ice crystal in the winter, no heart beat, no circulation etc. In the spring when it warms up, it thaws and hops off. Sounds like a great way to spend the winter.
I sent the link off to my cousin for her science minded kids. These are the same kids I sent the two legged dog video to.
They love this stuff. We went to the Denver Zoo last week, they probably go more in a year than I have in my life. There is a great exhibit near the front gates that I had never seen before with little rodent like animals, I can't remember what they're called. Whatever Riki Tiki Tavi, from the Rudyard Kipling story was. They kill cobras. Anyway, they were really funny. Almost as good as the otters and much easier to see. Now that I think of it, very much like the antics at the dog park but more contained and viewed from above. Also, you don't have to clean up after them. Big plus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?
Who links to me?